Projects: Decision Gate Optimization – Capital Value Process
Objective: To optimize the decision gate process and develop a lean and mean investment scrutiny staged gate process for oil sands capital projects.
Focus: Strategy Growth Performance
Domain: Capital Projects
Client: International operator in oil sands sector
Our client’s decision gate process for large capital projects deemed to be very detailed and slow (4-6 month). We helped client to develop a light but efficient decision gate process optimized for sustaining SAGD pads and other capital projects in their oil sands business unit. The consultancy work addressed:
– Stakeholder engagement, including but not limited to sponsors, senior leadership, CFO office, PMO, HSE, subsurface (G&G), facility, drilling & completion, commercial, mid-stream, land, corporate social responsibility (CSR), and regulatory,
– Strategy review, framing and KPI alignment,
– Review and understanding of the corporate requirements (client headquartered in the EU) at each decision gate (
– Review and mapping of the documents and deliverable at each stage,
– Redundancy analysis and optimization,
– Process mapping (in/out, monitoring, control, feedbacks, loops, etc.),
The optimized decision gate process found superior and fit-for-purpose for oil sands business unit. Following improvements achieved:
– start-to-end time of the decision gate process reduced from 4-6 month to 8-10 weeks (while satisfying Calgary leadership team and headquarter’s requirements),
– Better interface management among stakeholders in oil sands projects
– Deliverables and documents for each decision gate reformatted on a core documents and project specific to allow improved efficiency, better track record and smoother knowledge sharing.
Want to learn more about this project? Contact us to explore how we can add value to your business.